- The National Black Police Association was established:
- To improve the relationship between Police Departments as institutions and the minority communities;
- To evaluate the effect of the policies and programs within the Criminal Justice System upon the minority community;
- To serve as a mechanism to recruit minority police officers on a national scale;
- To work toward police reform in order to eliminate police corruption, police brutality and racial discrimination; and
- To educate police officers to perform with professionalism and compassion.